With the 2014 MLB Draft set to get underway this coming Thursday, we kick off our draft coverage today with a look back at Milwaukee’s 2013 draft.
The Brewers were without a first round pick due to their signing of pitcher Kyle Lohse, and were without a choice until #54 overall. Milwaukee grabbed high school right-hander Devin Williams with their first selection, a player many believed would not be around when they selected.
The Brewers also had a supplemental pick at the end of the second round and again went with a young high school player, selecting third baseman Tucker Neuhaus.
Milwaukee selected 40 players in all, and agreed to terms with 31 of the 40 draft choices. They selected 23 pitchers, 7 infielders, 8 outfielders and a pair of catchers.
Pitcher Tanner Poppe has advanced the furthest out of the 2013 draft class, currently pitching at Double-A Huntsville, while two more players – first baseman Garrett Cooper and pitcher Hobbs Johnson – are playing at High-A Brevard County.
Here’s a quick look at the progress of each of the Brewers 2013 draft picks.
2. Devin Williams (RHP) Extended Spring Training – Williams debuted last season in the Rookie Arizona League where he made 13 appearances, including six starts, and struck out 39 batters in 34.2 innings of work. He held opponents to a .215 batting average and posted an ERA of 3.38.
2. Tucker Neuhaus (3B) Extended Spring Training – Neuhaus struggled a bit in his first season of pro ball, batting just .231 in 51 games with the AZL Brewers. He did show potential however, as his 29 runs scored were second on the team to only Brandon Diaz and 13 of his 45 hits went for extra bases.
3. Barrett Astin (RHP) Wisconsin – The former Arkansas closer appeared in 12 games for Helena last season, starting eight of them. He began 2014 at Class-A Wisconsin where he currently has a record of 5-3 with a 4.22 ERA in 11 outings.
4. Taylor Williams (RHP) Wisconsin – After signing out of Kent State last season, Williams saw action in 12 games for Helena, going 3-1 with a 4.25 ERA. Williams was Wisconsin’s opening day starter this year and currently has a record of 2-1 with a 3.51 ERA in 11 appearances.
5. Josh Uhen (RHP) Extended Spring Training – The former UW-Milwaukee flame-thrower pitched in 14 games in the AZL last season, striking out 31 batters in 37.2 innings of work.
6. Garrett Cooper (1B) Brevard County – After being drafted by the Brewers in June, Cooper made short work of Helena and earned a promotion to Wisconsin last season where he hit .287. He started 2014 at High-A Brevard County where he was hitting .216 with two home runs before landing on the disabled list.
7. Omar Garcia (OF) Wisconsin – Garcia hit .305 as the leadoff man for a Helena team that made the postseason last year, stealing 28 bases in 54 games. This season with the Timber Rattlers, he is batting .228 with 23 steals through 48 games while splitting time between left and center field.
8. Brandon Diaz (OF) Extended Spring Training – Diaz hit .286 with an on base percentage of .395 in 45 games with the AZL Brewers last season. He scored 37 runs and stole 21 bases.
9. Tyler Linehan (LHP) Extended Spring Training – The left-handed Linehan pitched in 14 games for Helena last year, going 2-2 with a 2.45 ERA. He began 2014 with Wisconsin but struggled, allowing 13 earned runs in 11.2 innings before being returned to extended spring training.
10. Michael Ratterree (OF) Wisconsin – The outfielder from Rice University destroyed Pioneer League pitching on his way to winning league MVP honors last season. This year at Class-A Wisconsin, he is hitting .246 with nine home runs in 46 games. He also saw brief action with Double-A Huntsville earlier in the season when the Stars suffered a rash of injuries in the outfield.
11. Andy Hillis (RHP) Extended Spring Training – Hillis emerged as a dominant reliever at Helena last season, going 3-1 with a 0.44 ERA in 17 appearances and saving five games.
12. Trevor Seidenberger (LHP) Wisconsin – Seidenberger had a rough start to his pro career last season posting a 6.75 ERA in ten games for Helena, but has turned things around this year with the Timber Rattlers. In 12 relief appearances he has gone 4-1 with a 1.19 ERA and has allowed just three earned runs all season.
13. Tanner Norton (C) Extended Spring Training – After signing out of high school last season, Norton saw action in 30 games for the AZL Brewers in 2013. The 18-year-old catcher collected 21 hits and knocked in 13 runs.
14. Hobbs Johnson (LHP) Brevard County – The UNC lefty made 11 appearances between Helena and Wisconsin last season. This year he has a record of 4-6 with an ERA of 2.95 at High-A Brevard.
15. David Denson (1B) Wisconsin – Denson belted six home runs in 40 games in the AZL last season, and began 2014 at Low-A Wisconsin. He was batting .245 with three home runs before breaking his hamate bone on May 23rd.
16. Cory Miller (RHP) Unsigned – The highest Brewers pick not to agree to terms, Miller chose to return to Pepperdine for his senior season rather than sign with Milwaukee. In 15 starts this season he has gone 9-4 with a 1.75 earned run average.
17. Brandon Moore (RHP) Extended Spring Training – Another Arkansas pitcher drafted by the Brewers, Moore saw action in 13 games for Helena in 2013. He went 1-3 with a 6.68 earned run average.
18. Clint Terry (LHP) Wisconsin – Terry went 3-1 with 1.54 ERA in 14 appearances in the Arizona Rookie League last season. He started this year in extended spring training before being promoted to Wisconsin last week. In one game with the Timber Rattlers so far he’s worked 4.2 scoreless innings.
19. Josh Matheson (RHP) Unsigned – Matheson opted to return to Minnesota State for his sophomore season. he appeared in 11 games for the Mavericks this season going 2-1 with a 4.40 ERA.
20. Ryan Yarbrough (LHP) Unsigned – The left-handed pitching Yarbrough returned to Old Dominion for his senior season rather than signing with the Brewers. He appeared in 18 games going 6-7 with a 4.50 ERA.
21. Tristan Archer (RHP) Wisconsin – Archer went 2-1 with a 3.08 ERA in 15 appearances for Helena last season. In 2014 he has appeared in nine games for the Rattlers, going 2-2 with a 4.54 earned run average.
22. Johnny Davis (OF) Wisconsin – Davis hit .294 in 30 AZL games last year, collecting 17 stolen bases. This year, he is batting .280 through 43 contests and has also tallied 17 steals.
23. Eric Williams (OF) Extended Spring Training – The 19-year-old Texan saw action in 37 games for the AZL Brewers in 2013, hitting .260 with six stolen bases and 13 runs batted in.
24. Chris Razo (RHP) Wisconsin – Razo pitched in 15 games last season between Helena and Wisconsin. He began 2014 back at Wisconsin and has recorded three saves in twelve relief appearances.
25. Drew Ghelfi (RHP) Extended Spring Training – The LaCrosse, Wisconsin native pitched in 14 AZL games last season, starting six, and went 2-5 with a 7.49 earned run average.
26. Kyren Gilmore-Parrott (OF) Unsigned – Drafted out of high school, Parrott chose to attend college at James Madison rather than turn pro. In his freshman season he hit .265 in 16 games.
27. Tyler Alexander (LHP) Wisconsin – The lefty out of Florida International went 2-0 with a 1.72 ERA in 13 relief appearances at Helena last season. With the Timber Rattlers in 2014, he has a record of 4-3 with a 3.43 ERA in 11 games.
28. Alex Moore (RHP) Retired – Alex Moore pitched in three AZL games last season before being promoted all the way to High-A Brevard County. He made 13 appearances for the Manatees, but decided to retire from baseball this past spring.
29. Nick Eicholtz (RHP) Unsigned – Eicholtz opted to attend the University of Alabama rather than sign with Milwaukee. In his freshman year he appeared in 20 games, going 3-2 with a 3.35 ERA.
30. Luis Aviles (SS) Extended Spring Training – The 19-year-old shortstop out of Miami, Florida hit .207 in 42 games in the AZL in 2013. He knocked in 14 runs and also scored 14.
31. Tanner Poppe (RHP) Huntsville – Poppe pitched in 15 games last season between the AZL and Helena. He skipped over Wisconsin and began 2014 at Brevard County where he posted a 2.25 ERA in 12 games and recorded nine saves. That earned him a promotion to Double-A Huntsville and in five outings with the Stars, he has allowed just one earned run.
32. Ryan Deeter (RHP) Extended Spring Training – Deeter made seven relief appearances last season in the Arizona League and was unscored upon, working 11 total innings and picking up one save.
33. Charles Leblanc (SS) Unsigned – The 17-year-old Canadian shortstop did not sign with the Brewers, returning to Canada instead. He will be draft eligible again in 2014.
34. Dylan Brock (RHP) Extended Spring Training – Brock went 0-1 with a 2.84 ERA in nine AZL appearances. He was suspended this fall for 50 games following a positive drug test for a performance enhancing drug.
35. William Travis (RHP) Unsigned – Travis opted to return for his sophomore season at Southwest Mississippi Community College and struggled in ten appearances, going 1-7 with a 5.05 ERA.
36. Jesse Weiss (1B) Released – Weiss hit .273 and scored ten runs in 15 games at Helena in 2013. He was release by the Brewers towards the tail end of Spring Training in March of this year.
37. JaVon Shelby (SS) Unsigned – The son of Brewers coach John Shelby, JaVon chose to attend college at the University of Kentucky. He played in 55 games as a freshman, batting .253 with four home runs and 21 runs batted in for the Wildcats.
38. Charlie Markson (OF) Released – The former Notre Dame outfielder hit .288 in 46 games for Helena last season. He knocked in 21 runs and scored 35. Markson spent the spring in the Brewers minor league camp but was released in late March.
39. Jack Cleary (C) Extended Spring Training – Cleary played in 25 games in the AZL last year and three more with Helena. He hit a combined .244 in 86 at bats.
40. Kenneth Meimerstorf (OF) Unsigned – Milwukee couldn’t lure Meimerstorf away from a scholarship to the University of Arizona. As a freshman this season, he played in 39 games, batting .204.